The situation of digital freedom in China is very different. The Chinese government blocks thousands of websites including those many of us use every day. Some of these websites are Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and many more. Can you even imagine not being able to check your Gmail or conversation with your friends on WhatsApp?
Many major news channels are also being blocked. This makes VPN an absolute MUST for anyone traveling to China. However, selecting a VPN is not that easy. You need to select your VPN very carefully. The Chinese government pays special attention to VPNs as they provide a way to break its restriction.
Due to strong security, many VPNs that worked in China in the earlier days are not working there now. In this article, we will mention the best VPNs that are currently working in China. But going forward there we need the following as well:
Need to Know about VPNs in China
- The Chinese government has broadcasted its target to block all VPNs. This has not occurred yet, but the crackdown on VPNs carry on.
- Although it is against the law for VPN providers to work in China without government approval, VPN use is still legal.
- China has removed nearly all VPN apps from the Google Play store and Apple App Store similar other Google services.
- You need to install VPN on your computer or mobile device BEFORE you get to China.
Using the internet in China without the safety of a VPN is absolutely risky. A good VPN will cover your identity and encrypt all your online activity, keeping your private data safe.
Criteria for Selecting the Best VPN
- Skill to bypass the Great Firewall of China: Firewall is one of the most advanced restriction systems in the world. Before checking other features this challenge must be overcome.
- High speeds: Complete sure to select only the ones that can give you quick access to the sites that provide high-speed bandwidth.
- Servers in neighboring countries: Best ways to confirm a speedy connection in China is to connect to a server in a nearby country, like Japan or Hong Kong.
- Advanced encryption: Identity remains hidden and your private information stays private.
- Kill switch: This central security feature will rapidly disconnect you from the internet when your VPN disconnects. That means your identity and IP address remain protected at all times.
- Ease of use: User-friendly and native, so even if you are using a VPN for the first time, you will have nothing to worry about because of the ease of use.
The 6 Best VPNs that currently work in China
Below is the detailed discussion of VPNs that are properly tested and verified. You can trust them for secure internet connection in China.
NordVPN – The Top Rated VPN Service for China
With its great encryption and capability to bypass the Great Firewall with effortlessness, NordVPN is our top choice for internet usage in China. This trustworthy VPN has the abundant number of servers in countries surrounding China, including 60 in Japan and 40 in Hong Kong, so you have no need to worry about slow connection speeds.
There is also an option of Obfuscated Servers that you enable in case you experience any trouble connecting. The friendly 24/7 live chat support is always around and pleased to support. You can take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not sure that NordVPN is right for you.
Top Features of NordVPN
- The highest security protocol and standards
- Many servers in countries that are neighbors of China
- 24/7 live chat customer support service
- Website available in basic Chinese language
ExpressVPN for China
ExpressVPN is a widespread choice for China, due to its intense speeds and continued success over the Great Firewall of China.
This VPN’s remarkable server network covers 150+ locations all over the world, including Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, and many more.
This VPN facilitates you with advanced security features and strict no-logs policy. Customer support is offered in a number of languages that make it popular among users all over the globe. ExpressVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with its services.
Top Features of Express VPN
- It is also good and secure VPN for use in China.
- Above 2,000 servers in 90+ countries, with many localities close to China
- Brilliant customer service
- Costlier than other VPNs, but you get great worth for your money
The exclusive Chameleon technology of VyprVPN makes it a great choice for use in China. This technology scrambles OpenVPN information so the signature is not recognized via Deep Packet Inspection (DPI).
In simple words, it means that it can easily bypass the Great Firewall of China. This technology, however, is not offered for iOS. Therefore it is not a good choice for iPhone or iPad users in China.
Additional important benefit VyprVPN provides is a designated website that you can easily access within China. It means that if you forgot to install a VPN before entering the China border, you have to purchase and download the software from within the country. VyprVPN also offers a 3-day free trial for their users.
- Servers’ locations near china like Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, and more.
- Exclusive Chameleon technology.
- Available for purchase from within China.
It can bypass China’s Firewall, but make sure that you are using the latest and updated versions of their apps. The new version comes up with a Stealth mode that hides your VPN traffic. PrivateVPN offers advanced encryption techniques and decent speeds.
It has 100+ servers in over 50 countries around the globe, including Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, and others. The company offers 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Provides special Stealth mode that can bypass the Great Firewall of China
- Servers location in Hong Kong
- No-logs policy
Ivacy is an outstanding VPN that is reasonable as well. It can effortlessly bypass the Great Firewall. With Ivacy, if you face any connection issues, you can solve your problem very easily and quickly. Just change the protocols through the settings menu and you are good to go.
Singapore-based Ivacy is one of the rare VPNs that have servers in China. If you want to bypass the Great Firewall of China, you have to connect to a server in a neighboring country. However, it is an excellent solution if you are outside China and want to connect to a Chinese server.
Ivacy provides all the necessary security features, such as advanced encryption and a kill switch. Its 1-month plan comes with a 7-days money-back guarantee while the longer plans offer 30-days money back guarantee.
- Servers in China and neighboring countries like Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore.
- High speeds
- Advanced security structures
AstrillVPN works well in China with its multiple security protocols. It features apps for all major devices. You can connect many devices with a single account, maximum 5 devices simultaneously.
These devices can be anyone. However, if you purchase the iOS app through the Apple App Store, you’ll only be capable to use it on iOS devices. If you plan on using it on other devices, you should purchase a separate one for those.
AstrillVPN offers advanced security features with no-logs policy. AstrillVPN’s network has over 300 servers in 60+ countries, 29 in Japan and including 8 in Hong Kong.
The company offers a 7-day free trial, but unluckily, the free trial version is not available in China. The company also offers a 7-day refund policy, but only under certain conditions.
- Easily bypasses the Great Firewall
- On a single account, you can connect up to 5 devices.
- Relaxed and easy to use
These VPNs Don’t Work in China
Nowadays maximum VPNs cannot bypass the Great Firewall of China. Even some that have worked there previously does not work now.
Dealing with this level of censorship is not easy but some VPNs are ready to grab the problem. Pick out a reliable VPN that highly qualifies and fulfill your needs. Try to select one with high-quality customer support, no logging policy, high speed and the large range of available server around the world. This will surely give you some extraordinary experience.